Friday, October 28, 2011

A BFA (or Bad First Attempt)


The Web being what it is, sometimes it's impossible to find what you're looking for and sometimes you stumble upon it like some kind of...well, great old stumbling thing.

Today I found this website, which has lots of little helpful hints for using Photoshop and other CS5 applications, and thought I'd try my hand at retro-ing a photo.

I already have a bit of software for giving photos a Polaroid effect, but doing it via Photoshop is a whole different kettle of fish madness. However, as I'm currently doing my best to avoid a certain (paid) work-related task, I thought I'd give it a shot. Past experience has taught me that Photoshop can buy me hours of procrastination time.

This tutorial assumes I know more than I do (a little awkward really but I thought I'd try and fake it). It took me about an hour, and I fudged a couple of the steps. Really, it's a BFA if ever I saw one. The result is not so much retro-pic as cheesy B-Grade movie poster-pic. I'm half expecting Bo Derek to walk into the shot with hair braids and a white bikini. Still, now that I've got my first attempt out of the way, I can move onto what will hopefully be a SBSA (Slightly-Better Second Attempt). 

That should eat up another hour at least. Procrastination-City...here I come.
x
PS pre-Photoshop pic below...


For anyone interested in the location, it's beautiful Geordie Bay, Rottnest Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails